[dovecot] Re: Unable to Log in on FreeBSD server?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 17 14:06:49 EET 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 07:56, Mark wrote:
> I recently compiled dovecot 0.99.7 on a FreeBSD 4.3 server, and have
> been having problems with logging in and password authentication.
>
> a. I can't seem to get it to compile MD5 support -- it only seems to
> support plain, plain-file, and pam.

Do you mean Digest-MD5? That's an authentication mechanism, like plain.
PAM and passwd-file are different things, they're used to check if
password is correct.

> b. Whenever I try to log in, I always get something along the following
> lines in /var/log/messages ....
>

> Jan 16 17:55:33 akira imap-auth: Userinfo pam doesn't support DIGEST-MD5
> method

PAM and Digest-MD5 can't work together, so it complains. Digest-MD5
requires that the passwords are stored in special format, currently
supported only by passwd-file.