[Dovecot] Configuration file changes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jul 1 22:04:54 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 21:52, Farkas Levente wrote:
> ps. I still not understand that 3 new config example...why there is
> group inside group. may be a concrate example...

The point is that (sub)groups always inherit settings from their
parents. You could do everything (well, except the 3. case which I'm
beginning to think isn't such a good idea anyway) without subgroups, but
you might need to do more copy&pasting.

I think the previous "debug server" is good enough example. You might
want to have 10 different virtual servers, plus each one listening in
another port for debugging sessions. The debugging port would have all
the same settings than the real server, except some debugging options
enabled. You could create two root level groups for them, but you'd have
to keep their settings duplicated. Or you could create a debug subgroup
where you just override listening port and the few debug settings.