[Dovecot] Concerns switching from Courier to Dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 9 22:17:10 EEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 22:04, marcotte at panix.com wrote:
> Subfolders have different names in the file system. A folder
> (INBOX.subfolder) is named ".subfolder" in Courier, but "INBOX.subfolder"
> in dovecot. I can't simply rename all the subfolders, because our
> customers have direct access to the maildirs, and write to it directly
> with procmail and mail clients like mutt.

No, that's not the problem. Problem is that you have your clients
configured to use "INBOX." prefix for mailboxes which Dovecot doesn't
want.

That is the biggest compatibility problem between them, as it requires
changes in client configuration. I have plans to make INBOX-prefix
configurable, but it's not there yet.. Maybe I'll continue the
configuration file changes today after which it's easier to add the
namespace configuration..

> Certain files have different names, but contain the same information.
> For example, the subscription lists and UID files look the same to me
> but have different names. I suppose they could be converted, but this
> would make it difficult to run both IMAP servers side-by-side, which I'd
> like to do until dovecot has all the features I need.

You'd currently have to recompile Dovecot with the new filenames, but
that's pretty easy to do. And I think I'll make these filenames also
configurable from config file.

> I also heard talk of the hierarchy separator being changed from "." to
> "/".

Yes, but it's not there yet. And again I think I'll make it configurable
and leave the default to "." as it is now.

> Now, is it possible configuration options could be added to allow for
> better Courier compatibility? I would be willing to help with this.

In the namespace configuration, yes :)