[Dovecot] Configuration file changes in CVS

Charlie Brady charlieb-dovecot at e-smith.com
Thu Jul 10 21:31:44 EEST 2003

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Mark E. Mallett wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 05:52:08PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >
> > mbox is fine as long as you don't want to delete messages. It's perfect
> > for read-only mailing list archives.
>
> Indeed.  mbox is fine for some people and some things, and in fact
> for archived mboxes Maildir can just be a big waste.
>
> It is nice to be open to well-established storage formats.  Bear in
> mind that there are people who refuse to use Maildir formats too.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that such people *must* be catered for by
every imap daemon. Trying to keep everybody happy pretty much guarantees
that nobody will be completely happy.

Back to the topic, I'd rather there wasn't a configuration file at all.
I've got very used to Dan Berstein/Bruce Guenter software where
environment variables and command line arguments are the only
configuration. I'm only using the "imap" program from dovecot(*), and that
follows the same convention (in standard usage, its environment variables
are set by the dovecot frontends).

(*)I'm using tcpserver for network connection control, modified stunnel
for TLS, and imapfront for authentication/uid switching.

--
Charlie