[Dovecot] dovecot.procontrol.fi anonymous access fails?

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Sun Jul 13 18:47:24 EEST 2003

Hi,

just started using dovecot on FreeBSD. Nice and easy to configure :-)

I then wanted to browse the dovecot mailing list, so,
according to http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/mailinglists.html:

    IMAP archives available from dovecot.procontrol.fi, either use
    ANONYMOUS authentication or give anonymous as username and empty
    password.

I was using a patched sylpheed that doesn't support ANONYMOUS
authentication, so I gave anonymous as username and empty password,
but it failed as shown in the following trace:

1 CAPABILITY
* OK dovecot ready.
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=ANONYMOUS
1 OK Capability completed.
2 LOGIN anonymous
2 BAD Error in IMAP command received by server.
3 LOGOUT
* BYE Logging out
3 OK Logout completed.

Anyway, I also tried a plain telnet and it failed in the same way.
what's wrong?

thanks
marco