[Dovecot] migrating from uw imapd

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jul 19 17:35:20 EEST 2003

On Saturday, Jul 19, 2003, at 16:17 Europe/Helsinki, Craig wrote:

> 1. uw imapd grabs new mail from /var/mail/user and then shoves it into
> ~/mbox, is there any way to make dovecot handle this kind of setup or
> am I better off merging ~/mbox back into /var/mail/user? If merging is
> better are what tools are best for this?

There's no way currently. And I'm not sure what's the point of that
anyway, so I don't really have plans to do that. Wasn't this mbox
moving optional in UW-IMAP too?

For merging you could just use cat :) cat /var/mail/user >>
/home/user/mbox, mv /home/user/mbox /var/mail/user

And to avoid losing mails you should stop SMTP and IMAP servers..

> 2. While I did have have everything in ~/Mail coming up dovetail
> stopped working and logs the following error:
>
> syslog:Jul 19 23:01:07 epsilon3 imap-login: Login: haakon
> [192.168.0.107]
> syslog:Jul 19 23:01:07 epsilon3 imap(haakon): Failed to create storage
> with data: ~/Mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/haakon

Try default_mail_env = mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

Although it should have worked without the mbox: prefix too. Maybe some
permission problem.