[Dovecot] Re: migrating from uw imapd

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 21 03:21:22 EEST 2003

* On 2003.07.19, in <Pine.LNX.4.56.0307191732110.172 at cocaine.cryolabs.net>,
*	"Wouter Van Hemel" <wouter at pair.com> wrote:

> It does that? I've never seen that kind of behavior. Perhaps your package
> is compiled with some weird options (if you didn't compile it yourself).

C-client (i.e., pine and uw-imap) will append /var/mail/$user to
~$user/mbox if ~/$user/mbox exists. AFAIK it's non-optional in the stock
c-client build. If you touch ~/mbox, it should begin happening for you
too.

(Options? Configuration? Ha!)

Pine and IMAP will regard ~/mbox as your INBOX, though, so it's not
necessarily obvious that it's happening unless you look at the folders
from outside pine or imap.

The purpose of this was twofold, as far as I can see: compatibility
with Columbia MM's behavior with regard to mail.txt files, and to allow
users or admins to balance space on the spool disk vs. space on the
user disk. It's not a bad behavior, all things considered, though more
configurability for this and other c-client behaviors would almost
always be a fine thing.

--
 -D.    dgc at uchicago.edu        NSIT    University of Chicago
      When using any driving directions or map, it's a good idea to do a