[Dovecot] Hooks on folder operations

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Wed Jul 23 21:12:05 EEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 12:32:22AM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:

> The idea (I don't think I was clear enough) is to allow the user to move
> their spam into the "spam" folder manually. This is for spam that gets
> through the filter. When the mail is moved, a program runs (at the
> instigation of the IMAP server) that parses the spam email and updates
> the statistical information used to detect spam.
>
> Actual detection of spam is done in the local delivery agent, rather
> than in the IMAP server :-) We do tend to store mail we think is spam so
> the users can check, as most spam detection systems get a lot of false
> positives.

I can see where that kind of thing would be useful- to have a hook
on moving a message so that the message could essentially be
reprocessed.  One could do this to re-apply filters or to test
a new filter set.  (Or, as somebody said, to be assimilated into a
spam database.)

Of course to truly re-deliver a message it would be cool to have a folder
type that was a essentially a pipe.  You could use IMAP commands to
move a message to the folder, and the result would be that it got piped
into whatever agent you had specified.  One could have various folders
to accomplish things like "refile" or "report as spam" or "open a ticket"
or "redistribute to a group" or anything.

> By the way, thanks for your work on Dovecot.

Indeed!

mm