[Dovecot] Is dovecot NFS safe?

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Fri Jul 25 15:12:47 EEST 2003

> I'm migrating our mailserver from cyrus 2.0 to Postfix and Dovecot.
>
> We're using maildirs delivered to /var/maildir, which is mounted via
> NFS from a Netapp.  My understanding was that maildir was completely
> happy in an NFS environment but I've seen a couple messages here
> recently which mention the dovecot index files not being NFS safe.
>
> Are their any caveats or gotcha's that I need to be aware of?

You'll probably want to keep them in memory or on local disk. See
<http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/doc/nfs.txt> for more information -
default_mail_env needs either ":INDEX=/local/path/to/indexes/%u" or
":INDEX=MEMORY", all machines accessing the mailstore should have
sync'd clocks, and all imap servers need separate hostnames.

--Stu