[Dovecot] Re: Is dovecot NFS safe?

Adam Shand adam at personaltelco.net
Mon Jul 28 03:21:39 EEST 2003

Stuart Henderson wrote:
 > You'll probably want to keep them in memory or on local disk. See
 > <http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/doc/nfs.txt> for more information -
 > default_mail_env needs either ":INDEX=/local/path/to/indexes/%u" or
 > ":INDEX=MEMORY", all machines accessing the mailstore should have
 > sync'd clocks, and all imap servers need separate hostnames.

Okay that's exactly the information I was looking for, thanks.  I assume
making this change will take care of these errors:

Jul 27 10:24:02 maus imap(adam): file_wait_lock() failed with index file
/var/maildir/adam/.INBOX/.imap.index: No locks available

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Postfix delivering to NFS Maildir mailboxes... (Maildir on a local file
> system works fine of course, mbox on NFS is inherently unreliable and
> heavily dependent on working locking.)

Isn't the main point of Maildir (as opposed to mbox) that it *is* NFS
safe  and doesn't require working locking?

Thanks!
Adam.