[Dovecot] Re: gnutls_handshake problem

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at debian.org
Sat Jun 7 20:12:02 EEST 2003

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Christof Meerwald wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:49:20 -0400, Jacob Elder wrote:
> > I'm trying to bring dovecot up on Debian/stable using Christof
> > Meerwald's unofficial packages (cmeerw.org/debian/). This package
> > seems to work fine on Debian/testing. There error I'm getting on the
> > stable box is:
> >
> > gnutls_handshake: A TLS fatal alert has been received.(Bad record MAC)
> >
> > Any guesses?
>
> I guess you get this error message from your mail client (because my dovecot
> packages are linked against openssl). Does it work if you connect from
> Debian testing to dovecot running on Debian stable?
>
> IMO, Debian woody's guntls package is too old and shouldn't be considered
> stable.

Btw, did you know I already provide a backport to woody at
http://www.braincells.com/open/ ?  I keep it in sync with my official
packages.

Anyway I've noticed this too, and I have a feeling it might be something
to do with the way we're generating a self-signed certificate.  I haven't
had much time to do an exhaustive investigation but I hope I might have
soe time this weekend.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at debian.org>