[Dovecot] Dovecot will not run on secure kernel.

Ola Garstad ola at garstad.net
Sun Jun 15 15:55:55 EEST 2003

I am trying to run Dovecot on RH 7.3 with Linux kernel 2.4.20 + GrSecurity patch.
I downloaded the RPM yesterday and installed it.

When I start Dovecot the kernel reports: kernel: grsec: From 192.168.1.22: attempt to overstep process limit by (dovecot:14491) UID(0) EUID(0), parent (dovecot:23872) UID(0) EUID(0)

I have never seen this problem in the 3 years I have used GrSecurity together with a lot of programs.

GrSecurity explains: "Enforce RLIMIT_NPROC on execs. Users with a resource limit on processes will have the value checked during execve() calls. The current system only checks the system limit during fork() calls."

Any ideas why Dovecot causes this problem?

--
Ola