[Dovecot] crash on LIST command

Wouter Van Hemel wouter at pair.com
Mon Jun 16 17:14:45 EEST 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 05:28, Wouter Van Hemel wrote:
> > Manually adding the ~/.mail directory with mkdir takes care of the
> > problem, but shouldn't this directory be created automatically when it
> > doesn't exist? I can't expect every user to log in and first make this
> > mail directory before they can use their mail account.
>
> Oh, and this is already fixed too.

So it is, too. Thanks. :)

> > Dovecot also refuses to show any folders at all, such as the INBOX, when
> > it can't find it's mail(folders) directory. Is this intentional?
>
> You mean if you have only INBOX in /var/mail/ but eg. no ~/mail? I don't
> think it even allows logging in without? And that is intentional.

In that case, no problem. :)

I discovered two small errors (at least I think they are):

Fatal: Can't create directory /usr/local/var/run/dovecot: No such file or
directory

... when I undefine "base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/". So that path really
isn't the default dovecot uses, for some reason it prepends '/usr/local'
(that being the install prefix). This could be a feature, too - it just
confused me because I thought the comments showed the default settings.

And I also get an error when I uncomment "max_logging_users = 256":

Fatal: Error in configuration file /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf line 125:
Unknown setting: max_logging_users

That should probably be login_max_logging_users?

Regards,

  wouter