[Dovecot] Multiple auth howto

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jun 18 15:31:36 EEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 14:05, ohp at pyrenet.fr wrote:
> > Well, short answer: You can't. Put them all to one place (eg. pgsql),
> > maybe using some automated scripts. I don't know if I should even
> > consider about supporting fallbacking..
> >

> Hi Timo,  Thanks for your answer.
> The reason I came to dovcot is that I thought it was possible. I've benn
> researching this for weeks now. First thought that cyrus would do that, it
> does but though SASL and pam whitch I don't have.
>
> How difficult would it be to implement a fallback?

Not very. I'm mostly concerned about what happens if the user exists in
both authenticators. I guess normally this shouldn't happen, but you
can't really guarantee that and mistakes happen..

If fallbacking happened only when user isn't found from first
authenticator, that could work a bit more safely, but I'm not sure if I
can know with PAM if check failed because user wasn't found or because
password didn't match.