[Dovecot] Re: newbie question: alias addresses

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 23 21:33:21 EEST 2003

* On 2003.06.23, in <16EEDAF0-A5A8-11D7-8FD0-000A279898BC at mac.com>,
*	"R.Charles Sweeten" <rsweeten at mac.com> wrote:
> aaahhhh.....so what you're telling me is that dovecot does not replace
> sendmail as an MTA, it only provides the upper level functions.  yes?

I'm not sure what you mean by "upper level", but it provides only IMAP
and POP services -- just the client-fetch protocols. An MTA provides
receipt and and relaying services via different protocols, and dovecot
does not do that. It's not really a matter of higher- or lower-order
activity, but of directionality -- they're just different functions.

You won't find many MTAs that provide IMAP and POP, either -- I can
think only of such monsters as Exchange and Notes. Some MTAs (such as
Courier) are designed to integrate with particular IMAP and POP servers,
but those are separate components and optional integrations, AFAIK.

--
 -D.    dgc at uchicago.edu        NSIT    University of Chicago
      When using any driving directions or map, it's a good idea to do a