[Dovecot] Message display corrupted or missing in Netscape 7.0 and Mozilla 1.3

Steven Enderle enderle at mdn.de
Thu Jun 26 15:53:21 EEST 2003

Hello Timo!

yes, Mozilla and Netscape are almost the same. There is hardly any
difference except logos and instant messaging and stuff...

I will sniff the communication as soon as i have time to install a sniffer.

 > If it's Dovecot's fault, I can think of only two reasons:
 >
 > a) Dovecot doesn't detect that mbox was changed and doesn't synchronize
 > it, and it starts reading messages from wrong location. I haven't
 > noticed problems with this myself and I've been using Dovecot with mbox
 > for almost a year now. Maybe some other program touches the mbox in a
 > way Dovecot doesn't understand.

There are two other programms working with the mbox directly (postfix
though procmail and popa3d - popa3d never at the same time as dovecot),
but the corruption also happens in my subfolders, where only dovecot is
working.

 > b) mbox support still doesn't behave fully as IMAP RFC requires. Message
 > headers may change (not permitted) and so message size may not be
 > exactly correct (not permitted either). I doubt Netscape really cares
 > about these though.

I just had some heavy problems with email attachments. It saved just a
few bytes of my attachments, sometimes 5KB or 20KB of 66KB, sometimes it
saved a null file. i can't really say why, but that happened again and
again, i had to open netscape and forward the mail to my second
workstation without doing something else or i had to restart netscape
completly (e.g. when opening the attachment for reading or saving it).
What makes me wondering is, the other workstation is also using the same
imap server.

Ok, that was another corruption i saw, but i guess its related to the
corrupted email thing.

Steven
----- Steven Enderle ----- m d n Huebner GmbH ----
----- enderle at mdn.de ----- + 49 911 93 90 90 -----