[Dovecot] Dovecot first impressions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 30 18:39:58 EEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 18:13, Matthias Andree wrote:
> One deals with NAMESPACE -- it takes manual intervention in order to
> convince Mozilla of the new namespace and stuff. Courier-IMAP used to
> provide a NAMESPACE, but Mozilla leaves it unchanged if I point it to
> Dovecot.

I was thinking about giving static NAMESPACE reply, but didn't bother
yet. I think I'll add it when I add support for full namespace
configuration in config file.

You could actually do it with a plugin already. Save attached file to
src/imap/ directory and compile it there. You'd also have to add
NAMESPACE into CAPABILITY_STRING in config.h. And set use_modules = yes
in config file.

> The other is the naming itself, easily visible from the LIST
> replies below: Courier prefixes everything with "INBOX" (which I believe
> is reflected in the NAMESPACE, but it appears as though most clients
> were only tested against UWIMAP).

This will be later in namespace configuration as well.

> Apparently, mail user clients (particularly the Mozilla derivatives) do
> a better job of presenting Dovecot's layout, so this one has my
> preference, although it differs from Courier's and Cyrus 2.1's.

Cyrus can be configured not to do it with altnamespace (or something)
setting.

> One question (I may have missed it in the docs): how do I properly
> create folders with national characters (umlauts) in their names?
> Apparently, Courier-IMAP and Dovecot just forward the file name verbatim
> when I type maildirmake -f t=E4=DFt Maildir, which doesn't look right. OTOH,
> I am well aware that the IMAP servers can't possible guess the character
> set, so it must be my "maildirmake" that is flawed rather than the server.

You use IMAP-modified-UTF7 charset. Only easy way to do it would be to
use IMAP client to do it. Would be nice if someone made maildirmake
support it as well of course :)

First you'd have to get the mailbox name to unicode (iconv() helps).
After that you'd get some unicode -> utf7 code from some existing IMAP
client.