[dovecot] Re: Torture tests

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 4 21:50:40 EET 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 10:17, Ian R. Justman wrote:
> I've been so impressed with Dovecot, I'm in the process of moving my mail
> over to it.  In fact, one of my mailboxes got SO huge, it'll likely
> literally take more than a day to move it all over (in excess of 19,000
> mails, about 140 megabytes).

Well, I have 1,4GB mbox test file with around 367 000 messages :) I also
tested 64bit file support with one >4GB mail file in Maildir. I don't
think the amount of messages or their sizes should affect Dovecot.
Except there's probably a few problems that could happen once UIDs are
close to their maximum value (4GB), have to fix those some day.

> It should also be noted that I'm moving all this mail out of a Cyrus
> mailstore into an mbox folder on the same server using Pine.
>
> Though any suggestions in what to keep an eye out for in either case?

Huge mbox files aren't very good idea if you plan to delete old messages
or add new custom flags, they may result in pretty large copying of
data.