[dovecot] Starting Dovecot?

Leslie Viljoen Leslie_Viljoen at icoc.org
Thu Mar 13 14:23:33 EET 2003

Hello!

I have laid SSL aside for the time being, and continued compiling and
installing Dovecot.
Now I don't know how to start it! I have been through the config file and
mostly left things as-is.
I have created the dovecot user and group and put only dovecot user in the
dovecot group.

Then I tried imap-master, as specified in the INSTALL documentation, but
there is no such file!
Under src/master, "dovecot" gets built. I tried running this, and
/var/log/messages says
"dovecot starting", but this process seems to just end. If I run it twice
very quickly, I get
told that port 143 is busy - so it seems that it is starting up, but only
staying up for a very short
while. Messages gives no more clues as to why the server quits.

Any ideas?

Les

PS: I am trying dovecot 0.99.8.1.
Leslie Viljoen