[dovecot] Re: inetd/xinetd/tcpserver support

Charlie Brady charlieb-dovecot at e-smith.com
Thu Mar 20 17:15:48 EET 2003

[Please remember to trim down to minimum quoted text, guys]

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Marcus Rueckert wrote:

> > In general they will, as they will do connection counting. This is
> > handled
> > in my setup above, as each process execs the following one: tcpserver
> > forks, and the child execs "imapfront-auth", which then authenticates
> > and
> > execs "imap".
>
> first of all i want to paste this
>
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > Only solution for now is to set /var/mail world-writable and sticky.
> > Another way would be to use more privileged process for handling lock
> > files. Some programs use setuid or setgid binary for that. I was
> > thinking that I'd let imap process request the locks from master
> > process. That would also allow overriding stale lock files created by
> > other users with shared mailboxes.

You haven't said why you wanted to paste that. Could you explain please?

> another point would be no reusing. you restart all processes on each
> connection. if i count correctly:
>
> 1 tcpserver + 1 imapauth + 1 imap binary per connection
>
> forked on every connect.

You haven't counted correct, as someone has already pointed out (and as
indeed I did in the text you have quoted above).

> iirc correctly cras implemented resuing of the already spawned
> processes. maybe a reason.

I had to use google to find out what "cras" was. ["cras" is Timo.]

> isnt there a lib offering tcp-server like functionality?

Probably not, but I don't see the relevance anyway.

--
Charlie