[dovecot] Re: NFS mounted IMAP dirs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 31 11:53:47 EEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 23:23, Maikel Verheijen wrote:
> While reading through the dovecot documentation, I read that I could
> do without indexes (well: use memory indexes),

Currently that's not really good idea, since message UIDs aren't then
stored permanently. In CVS there's support for this with mbox format,
and I've also been writing support for Courier-like uidlist-file, but
that's still not really working.

> My problem is now that dovecot writes it's subscriptions to the
> mailstore. Since I want as little difference between my frondends as
> possible, (and as static as possible), I would love to see dovecot
> handle subscriptions in a database, or perhaps a nfs-safe file.

Database? SQL? Another problem is also .customflags file which isn't
NFS-safe. With mbox it's not really required, but with Maildir it is if
you want custom message flags. It wouldn't be too difficult to change
the code to use dotlock files with these files anyway, I've been going
to make it configurable.