[Dovecot] help: The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Invalid mask.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu May 15 21:33:22 EEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 21:26, Brandon Hoult wrote:
> Am tryin to move from uw-imapd to dovecot, using dovecot ver 0.99.9.1-1
> on debian.  Using Mozilla Mail v 1.3 currently using mbox format.
>
> I made some test accounts and they seem to be working fine, but my older
> existing accounts give error messages whenever I connect or subscribe to
>   mailboxes within them.  The message that appears on the client is:
>
> "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Invalid
> mask."

Mozilla is probably remembering some old settings from uw-imapd. I'm not
sure what exactly, since they should have pretty similiar settings.
Maybe anyway related to handling ~/mail or namespaces in general.

That error happens anyway if client tries to use absolute file paths
(/path, \path, ~/path/) or tries to use ../ or ..\ in the path. '\'
checking isn't actually really needed, but I thought I might as well
prepare for future VMS/Windows port :)

Instead of giving the error, I could also just make Dovecot ignore that.
I'm not sure if it'd be better..