[Dovecot] ssl still not working

leslie_viljoen at icoc.org leslie_viljoen at icoc.org
Fri May 16 10:03:57 EEST 2003

SSL is working very well for me. I used the mkcert.sh script that comes
with Dovecot - although I changed
it a bit to make a certificate that lasts a year instead of one month.

Mozilla, Outlook Express, Lotus Notes - all using SSL on port 993 to
communicate with Dovecot and
working fine.

It _did_ take some work to get Dovecot to compile with SSL support, but it
turns out that my SSL_dev
package was not installed properly. (I had such a problem finding the
header files that were needed
that I completely upgraded the whole of Linux on that machine and then
installed the DEV code
from a package).
Once that was done, I could coax Dovecot into compiling with SSL.

Now it works very well. Mozilla in particular immediately asks me if I
want to accept the certificate
permanently or temorarily - Outlook and Notes use IE's certificate store -
for that I needed to tell
my users to surf to https://server.com:993 - and then IE would pick up the
certificate and let them add it
to their trusted store.

I don't know about the Mozilla error below, I didn't get that.

Les

Leslie Viljoen
Africa Missions Systems Administrator
Cell: 0836186100 Work: 011 6991700