[Dovecot] still problem with load

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 21 14:12:28 EEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 13:19, Farkas Levente wrote:
> >>IMHO 300 mailbox and 100 concurrent user is not such a big thing.
> > No, it shouldn't be.
>
> ok so what can be the reason?

Well, check what OE6 is talking to Dovecot. Is it fetching headers or
bodies for all messages? It should do that to only new messages.

Rawlog or some network sniffers could tell what exactly is happening.
http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/bugreport.html#sniffing

Also is Dovecot really rebuilding the indexes all the time? How do you
know? Try the in-memory indexes, at least then it's not rebuilding any
indexes to disk.

> it there any way to measure the total amount of read and write issued by
> all dovecot process? or...?

Dovecot doesn't count them, but your OS might. I don't know really.

> imap(lfarkas): May 21 12:20:01 Error: Corrupted index file
> /home/lfarkas/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index: index.next_uid (64) >
> uidlist.next_uid (63)

Hmm.. I was going to suggest trying 0.99.10-test, but I guess you're
using it now? Looks like I have similiar error messages in my log :)
Have to fix those.

You didn't say how long this load problem has been going on, was it only
recently or for longer now?