[Dovecot] pop3 timeout when sending first message

Mike Brown mike at skew.org
Tue May 27 05:03:41 EEST 2003

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 08:33, Mike Brown wrote:
> > I'm using FreeBSD 4.8 with dovecot from the ports collection.
> >
> > First I am first trying to fetch mail via POP3. Clients are both OE6 and
> > Mozilla. Both exhibit the same behavior: the client says it is receiving
> > message 1 of (however many), but nothing happens; no message data is
> > transferred. Mozilla seems to keep waiting forever, but OE6 times out after 60
> > seconds and lets me stop waiting.
>
> Check the POP3 traffic that they're talking. That would tell at least
> something. http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/bugreport.html#sniffing

tcpdump reveals that the first message does get sent.

You can examine the tcpdump output here (I edited out my password):

  http://skew.org/~mike/pop3-moz-tcpdump
  http://skew.org/~mike/pop3-oe6-tcpdump

Is this helpful?

> > There's nothing of interest in the logs. By the way, there seems to be no
> > mention of what syslog facility is used by dovecot. What is it? I'm avoiding
> > syslog for now and writing to specific files.
>
> It's mail.

Hmm, OK. I'd rather keep my dovecot log separate from my MTA log, so I'll
continue with my current setup.

Thanks!