[Dovecot] Dovecot 0.99.9.1 and openssl-0.9.7a-5

Robin Whittle rw at firstpr.com.au
Wed May 28 07:32:04 EEST 2003

Hi Timo and others,

Thanks for Dovecot! I just got it running under Red Hat 9.0 after
spending many hours unsuccessfully trying to get Courier IMAP to run,
although I have done it in the past.  Here is a compilation glitch which
may already be well known:

I compiled dovecot-0.99.9.1 on my newly installed and recently updated
(via Red Hat Network) system and the compilation stopped due to a
missing file in the SSL headers:

  In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
                 from ssl-proxy-openssl.c:14:
  /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
  In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
                 from ssl-proxy-openssl.c:14:

The currently installed OpenSSL RPM was openssl-0.9.7a-5.   This lacks
the file  /usr/include/openssl/krb5.h .  I understand that
openssl-0.9.7b is OK, but I wasn't sure about whether installing this as
a tarball from http://www.openssl.org would upset any other programs on
this machine, or confuse the RHN update system.

I didn't really need SSL and I couldn't see a specific option for
disabling it, other than a general instruction about disabling modules
with a ./configure option.  So I tried ./configure --help and compiled
it with:

   ./configure --without-ssl

This worked fine.  I really like the report at the end of the
./configure stage saying how the program will be compiled!

  - Robin

//  Robin Whittle                   http://www.firstpr.com.au
//  Melbourne, Australia            http://fondlyandfirmly.com