mkdir {cur,tmp,new}? (was Re: [Dovecot] Speed and memory probs writing large Maildir)

Charlie Brady charlieb-dovecot at e-smith.com
Fri May 30 23:29:43 EEST 2003

On 30 May 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> It still does a few unnecessary things every time mailbox is opened (ie.
> at every APPEND command). I think I shouldn't try to mkdir() the cur,
> new and tmp dirs immediately. Those could be more easily created if/when
> stat() fails while syncing.

Shouldn't the maildir only be created in response to a CREATE command. It
certainly shouldn't be as the result of an APPEND:

   If the destination mailbox does not exist, a server MUST return an
   error, and MUST NOT automatically create the mailbox.

I would interpret any of cur, new and tmp being missing as "mailbox does
not exist".

Charlie Brady                         charlie_brady at mitel.com