[Dovecot] dovecot vs cyrus, uw, etc.

Scott Klein scott at thenation.com
Tue Nov 4 00:50:29 EET 2003

I've been doing research on switching our current e-mail server
(qpopper, sendmail) to imap. The decision on which server to use is
essentially down to Cyrus and Dovecot -- I like Cyrus' approach to a lot
of things, but the "blackbox" nature of it makes some niceties like
using spamassassin and procmail difficult, or at least counterintuitive.
Dovecot seems to play nicer with other apps.

I'm a bit concerned with stability, though. Although we don't have a lot
of users (about 60) they're all very big e-mail users -- my users rely
on their e-mail more than on their phones. We can't afford any downtime,
and with our pop3 server, we haven't had any.

Does anybody on this list use Dovecot to serve mission critical e-mail
to an entire company? What kind of uptime can I expect? Is it genuinely
ready for prime time? Has anybody here migrated from a recent release of
Cyrus and can compare apples-to-apples?

Many thanks,
Scott Klein

--