[Dovecot] current CVS seems to have index problems.

Andreas Jaekel jaekel at webgods.de
Tue Nov 4 19:07:17 EET 2003

Hi Timo.

I've checked out the current CVS version and tested it.
There seems to be a problem when dovecot accesses mailboxes
for the first time:

I have a mailbox with 4 mails, and no special IMAP headers.
(no X-IMAPBase, X-UID etc.)  and it's in mbox format.

I log in, SELECT the folder and do
FETCH 2 BODY[]
and receive only a snipplet of the mail from
somewhere in the middle of it.

After some debugging it seems like dovecot:
1. creates an index, for mbox_index_rewrite(),
2. rewrites the mbox, but then
3. forgets to update the index after the rewrite.
and ends up in a state with a pre-rewrite index but
a post-rewrite folder.

Now, there are many ways to make dovecot rebuild
the index after rewriting the folder, but some are
ugly and some are not, some need extra code to avoid
endless loops.  I don't know how you would want this
fixed.

I attached a patch that worked for me.

After that patch, I have more (new?) problems, which
may or may not be related.

Now, when I SELECT a folder and do a COPY within
the folder (*smile*) I get this:

A COPY 1 INBOX
* BYE Mailbox is in inconsistent state, please relogin.
Connection closed by foreign host.

... which is what I'm gonna start looking for right now. :)

Regards,
    Andy