[Dovecot] Corrupted index files

Tomi Hakala tomi.hakala at clinet.fi
Mon Nov 17 14:50:22 EET 2003

Hi,

I'm playing with Dovecot in a lab environment and got it in state
where it crashes on every incoming connection.

I moved mail spool from ext2 file system to a ReiserFS on a another
disk, mount point changed from /var/vmail to /spool/vmail. After that
I managed to open mailbox and I moved about 2000 messages from INBOX
to a subfolder.

Then I tried to open mailbox with POP3 and it didn't succeed, from
that point pop3d and imapd died every time I logged in until I removed
all index files by hand.

This is what I have in logs.

imap-login: Nov 17 13:30:53 Info: Login: tomi.hakala at xx.fi [xx.xx.xx.xx]
pop3-login: Nov 17 13:32:04 Info: Login: tomi.hakala at xx.fi [xx.xx.xx.xx]
pop3(tomi.hakala at xx.fi): Nov 17 13:32:04 Error: Corrupted index file /spool/vmail/xx.fi/tomi.hakala at xx.fi/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index: Sequence 1848 not found from binary tree (5398 msgs says header)
pop3-login: Nov 17 13:32:12 Info: Login: tomi.hakala at xx.fi [xx.xx.xx.xx]
pop3(tomi.hakala at xx.fi): Nov 17 13:32:21 Error: Couldn't lock created modify log file /spool/vmail/xx.fi/tomi.hakala at xx.fi/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index.log

imap(tomi.hakala at xx.fi): Nov 17 14:09:32 Error: IndexID mismatch for modify log file /spool/vmail/xx.fi/tomi.hakala at xx.fi/Maildir/.INBOX/.imap.index.log
imap(tomi.hakala at xx.fi): Nov 17 14:09:33 Panic: file mail-tree-redblack.c: line 187 (rb_left_rotate): assertion failed: (node[x].right != RBNULL)
dovecot: Nov 17 14:09:33 Error: child 19984 (imap) killed with signal 6
imap-login: Nov 17 14:27:24 Info: Login: tomi.hakala at xx.fi [xx.xx.xx.xx]
imap(tomi.hakala at xx.fi): Nov 17 14:27:24 Panic: file mail-tree-redblack.c: line 232 (rb_right_rotate): assertion failed: (node[y].left != RBNULL)
dovecot: Nov 17 14:27:24 Error: child 10478 (imap) killed with signal 6

--
Tomi Hakala