[Dovecot] entourage + dovecot bug?

Payton payton at repligen.com
Tue Nov 18 18:36:02 EET 2003

I have dovecot set up to run IMAP services without SSL (I have tested many
other configurations as well, but this reproduces the problem the
simplest). When attempting to connect to the imap server using Entourage
for OS X on a mac, I receive the following error:

Mail could not be received at this time.
The server returned the following error
.

Dovecot reports a successful login and nothing else in the mail log.
All other email clients I have tried (mutt, Mail.app) work fine with the
IMAP server. I have also tried this on multiple clients with the same
results. All this leads me to believe a bug exists in Entourage, however:
	I also have a Red Hat 7.3 server running qmail and dovecot in
nearly the same manner (except that it is using dovecot 0.99.10 and shadow
for password authentication, instead of dovecot 0.99.10.2 and ldap
password authentication). Entourage (and all other clients) works just
fine with this setup.

	I'm not certain if the problem lies in some tweak between 0.99.10
and 0.99.10.2 or if it is something with the red hat system itself, but I
can't find anything.

I am using dovecot 0.99.10.2 on a Red Hat 9 system using qmail 1.04
(netqmail) and checking with the latest version (update 10.1.5) of
Entourage on Mac OS 10.2.8.

Thanks for any help!
-Payton