[Dovecot] 0.99.10.2 released

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Thu Nov 20 23:38:37 EET 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:31:01AM -0800, Brook Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday 20 November 2003 07:28 am, you wrote:
> > Brook Humphrey wrote:
> > >
> > > somebody out there still uses mbox? Hm wonders never cease.

Sounds like religion, there are inexplicably strong opinions on both
sides.  IMHO neither mbox or maildir are perfect, both have problems.
I find mbox good for folders that never get very large.

> > mutt.  Haven't figured out quite how to make global procmail deliver
> > maildir to my mailboxes and mbox to her's.  heck, just trying to figure
> > out how to get procmail to deliver maildir everywhere is a bit trying.
> > On the gripping hand, if mutt can do maildir with no change of user
> > interface...hmmm time to research something.
>
> Hm I use maildrop here and you can have individual rules for each user. These
> are stored in the users home directory. With maildrop i have it sorting spam
> and virii for me through spamassassin and anomy sanitizer. Really it could
> not be easier. I do believe bot dont quote me in this that maildrop does
> support mbox but I'm not sure.

We also use a local delivery agent that allows the choice of mailbox
format for new boxes, or will honor the current format for an existing
box.

> I dont use mutt but I do know that pine does support maildir.

In some sense... last I knew there were patches available for pine,
but the author of pine was very anti-maildir and refused to support it,
ever.  Has that changed?

> I did however
> look through the muttrc. Uhg. Anyway I see others on the net talking about it
> but I see no one showing how they did it.

Mutt will honor the existing format, either maildir or mbox (or MH
or MMDF).  New mailboxes are created with the type specified by
"mbox_type" - if not set, the typical default is mbox.  As mentioned,
mutt will also support pop and imap access, so it doesn't necessarily
have to create boxes directly.

mm