[Dovecot] dc performance vs courier-imapd

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 24 23:12:09 EET 2003

On Sun, 2003-11-23 at 23:06, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Any speed tests agains courier-imapd?

Well, a year old benchmark is here:

http://dovecot.fi/dovecot-benchmark.txt

I'm not sure why it's FETCH BODY/ENVELOPE times were that bad, they
should have been cached and shouldn't have taken more than a few seconds
to fetch.

I had a newer benchmark after rewriting cache file code (ie. the current
CVS indexing code), but because of several bugs in it that I later
fixed, I think some of it's results are wrong for Dovecot.

After the yet another (and hopefully last) index code rewrite I'll do
some more benchmarking, maybe with some "real world" situations this
time instead of a single 1,5GB mailbox :)

It all mostly just depends on what IMAP clients are used. If they have a
local cache that fetches just new messages, Dovecot probably isn't much
faster than Courier. If same messages are fetched constantly or if same
mailbox is accessed with multiple clients, the indexes start being
useful.

Also many webmails open and close IMAP connections constantly. Dovecot
is very fast at opening a mailbox that hasn't changed. Some people have
solved that problem with using IMAP proxy between webmail and the real
IMAP server, I doubt Dovecot would need it.