[Dovecot] a couple more tidbits on the conversion process

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Nov 26 06:35:46 EET 2003

a couple of things that really helped me when converting from mbox to
maildir.  First is to see how simple procmail changes could be.  in your
/etc/procmailrc file, just add the following.

MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir/       # Make sure this directory exists!
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR

if you're using per user procmail files, the exact same two lines will
also work to ensure proper delivery.

if you're anything like me with 200 plus mailboxes, the following
utility is really superb at doing the conversion all at once.  Granted,
I had to wait awhile to convert the GB+ of e-mail but I had other things
to do and not getting interrupted every few minutes made the time
reasonably productive.  :-)

http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/

I was getting an error about some sort of illegal character sequence but
the mail seems to have converted fine.

I think the next thing to do is create a new partition for home and make
it ReiserFS.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears