[Dovecot] Compiling dovecot on SuSE 9

Marcus Rueckert rueckert at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Wed Nov 26 14:26:54 EET 2003

On 2003-11-26 00:17:07 -0800, Ted S. Garaventa wrote:
> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:17:07 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Ted S. Garaventa" <tsg at cctg.com>
> Subject: [Dovecot] Compiling dovecot on SuSE 9
> To: dovecot at procontrol.fi
>
> Again I am asking for some help to compile and configure dovecot on SuSE 9.

im working on some rpm for it. i think ill release them on thursday.

> I have configured and compiled it as per the instructions and no errors or
> problems. When I try to run dovecot from the command line it does not
> complain or give me any errors. The daemon starts and dies almost
> immediately.

you did everything right so far. the problem is that dovecot comes with
SSL enabled by default but there is no cert for it. go to $SRCDIR/doc/
edit mkcert.sh (change imapd.pem to dovecot.pem)
run it.
restart dovecot and everything will be fine.

but you need a dovecot pam file. i use the file from [1].

> Do I need to compile differently?  What can I do to see what is the
> problem. I was asked to run strace but I don't know what it is telling me.
the solution would be:

strace -e trace=file dovecot

you would see a file not found error at the end of the log.

darix

[1]
http://monsters.rsn.uni-rostock.de/~darix/suse/dovecot

you can find the patch for mkcert.sh + dovecot.pam + init script there.
and of course the rpm when it's done.
--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

              http://www.irssi.de/