[Dovecot] another Dovecot problem

Tim Miller tim at gem.win.co.nz
Thu Oct 2 20:57:43 EEST 2003

Hi All--

First, thanks to Timo for solving my last issue. I got dovecot up and
running on one of my machines, and it does exactly what I want. Now I'm
trying to install dovecot on an older box (glibc 2.0.7 Linux kernel
2.0.36), and encountering some problems:

-- firstly autoconf/automake does not seem to correctly deal with the
madvise function on this system. It detects that we don't have madvise,
yet it's prototyped in /usr/include/sys/mman.h. This causes the
compilation to fail when dovecot tries to redefine this function.

-- I attempted to solve this problem by renaming the function dovecot
prototypes to dc_madvise and then changed all the calls in the code (and
the implementation) from madvise to dc_madvise. This allows the code to
compile correctly.

-- However, once the server is installed, it does not appear to work
correctly. I can login, but when I try to list my folders or select any
folder (one that exists or one that doesn't exist) the connection times
out and the following entry is written to the log file:

dovecot: Oct 03 05:38:56 Error: login: received another "not listening"
notification (if you can't login at all, see src/lib/fdpass.c)

I tracked this message down in the source, but didn't see any obvious way
to trace back the problem.

Does anyone have experience building on this older configuration (the
glibc is a Red Hat version, if it makes any difference)? Any ideas on what
might be causing this issue?

Best,
Tim Miller