mbox/maildir/directories [was: Re: [Dovecot] still getting weird .{inbox} folder creations with latest -test7]

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron.net
Sat Oct 4 14:55:01 EEST 2003

This is a bit of a late reply, but still:

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 15:06, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> CVS has been optimized to assume all files beginning with a dot (except
> .subscriptions currently) are mailboxes. This is faster since it doesn't
> have to stat() each file to figure out if it's a directory or not.
> Perhaps that should be optional. New Linux systems (maybe others too)
> wouldn't actually even need the stat()..
>
> I'll probably some day also add support for dotless directory-structured
> mailbox locations, but it's not really high priority.

Well, on our systems the mailbox is in /var/mail in maildir format,
and in ~/Mail users have split up their folders in subdirs, in
mixed maildir and mbox formats.

So if dovecot could support both dotless directory-structured mailbox
locations and maildir/mbox mix-n-match in the same tree, that would
be excellent for us.

Mbox is a better format for archiving. Now if Dovecot could also access
(read-only ofcourse) compressed mbox archives ...

Food for thought. Just put it on the wishlist ;)

Mike.