[Dovecot] dovecot crashes on start

Timothy diyab at ovis.net
Wed Oct 8 03:09:55 EEST 2003

Hello,

I wasn't able to find anything about this on the site that could give me
a definite answer, but when I start dovecot it dies immediately.  The
following is left in the logs.

dovecot: Oct 06 20:59:30 Info: Dovecot starting up
dovecot: Oct 06 20:59:32 Error: Auth process died too early - shutting down
pop3-login: Oct 06 20:59:32 Fatal: fd_send(-1) failed: Broken pipe

I thought this might have something to do with chrooting so I tried to
disable all of that in the configuration.  After that did not work I
rebuilt dovecot with minimal configure options (compared to what I used
originally) and used a stock configuration changing only the certificate
locations so that dovecot would not complain about the certificates
missing, still no luck and the same error.  I've tried using strace on
dovecot but it seems like it hardly ever hangs/dies at the same point.
I'm trying to run this on a slackware 9.0 linux based machine.  Any
suggestions?

Timothy,

--
I put instant coffee in a microwave and almost went back in time.
		-- Steven Wright