[Dovecot] move from imap-uw

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sat Oct 18 15:38:17 EEST 2003

Sergey Matveychuk explained:

> Hello!
>
> I've just subscribed and I'd like to ask. Is there any troubles if I
> change my imap-uw with davecot? Will davecot pick up imap-uw created
> folders (mboxes)? I use all protocols: imap, imaps, pop and pops.
>
> I've seen some problems with mbox was mention on this maillist. What
> kind of problem?

the only problem I had (and it was severe enough to push me back to UW) was that
client side filtering seemed to trigger reindexing every time a message was
moved.  This problem made my e-mail processing very very slow.  If I had moved
to maildir, I think things would have been a very different story.

I will say however that I am quite confident that Timo will solve this problem
and also make it trivially easy for people to convert away from mbox to maildir
  in an opportunistic fashion as they access each mailbox.  And I am sitting
here with mboxes just waiting to be a guinea pig!

It will be also interesting to see the solution for mail delivery when you have
a mixture of users accepting mail through /var/spool/mail/XXX and others in home
directory maildir.  And yes, I know of sites where they need to do this.

---eric