[Dovecot] A view quirks

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 21 18:00:39 EEST 2003

On Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003, at 17:25 Europe/Helsinki, Andreas Jaekel
wrote:

>> here's fstream->file which tells if it's a regular file :)
>
> Oooh, nice!  But does that work outside ostream.c? :)

I haven't seen a reason to make it visible outside ..

>> They're not dup()ed, they just use the same file descriptors. But ..
>> hmm. that would be possible, but that's still quite a lot of code for
>> cases which are rarely needed..
>
> But it'd be clean and the way to avoid the largest number of
> syscalls if pread/pwrite are not an option.

Yes, but is it really a problem? I just started thinking that
pread/pwrite are probably supported by pretty much all new operating
systems. Do we need to add lots of kludgeing for some old systems?

> hank you for the patch.  It worked, except for two little things:
>
> 1. I don't use Linux, so the #define for pseek broke
> the compile and

Oh .. I was thinking too that it might cause problems somewhere..

> 2. I had to remove the lseek() call in _read(), which was
> the whole point in using pread()   :)

Well .. I left it there because I thought it might be useful in some
cases .. well, maybe not :)