[Dovecot] observations about delays

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Sep 1 16:17:56 EEST 2003

Timo Sirainen explained:
> On Monday, Sep 1, 2003, at 00:52 Europe/Helsinki, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
>> In both cases when the client fetches messages from the inbox and
>> starts redistributing them, CPU utilization on the imap server goes to
>> around 40 percent for Mozilla and around 90 percent for mahogany.
>> There are long delays on the order of two minutes when filtering
>> messages. or 30 to 50 seconds when opening a mailbox.
>

> Check what Dovecot is doing at the time. Use rawlog (or network sniffer)
> and strace.

will do.  should I be using the latest from cvs or from 99.10 like I have been?

> Humm.. If it copies a message from a mailbox to itself, that could break
> mbox, or at least complain about some errors.. Could it be that?

I don't believe so.  The mahogany filters were under construction to meet my
needs here.  I am looking forward to server side filtering because I am getting
rather tired of replicating 100+ filters every time I change clients.