[Dovecot] namespaces

Brian Marcotte marcotte at panix.com
Wed Sep 3 01:45:06 EEST 2003

I'm trying to use the namespaces feature to set up dovecot to look just
like our existing Courier IMAP server, and our previous Cyrus server. That
is, all folders are subfolders of INBOX, and the hierachy separator is
".". I put this in the configuration file:

  namespace private {
    separator = .
    prefix = INBOX.
    location = maildir:~/.maildir
  }

This makes subfolders work correctly, but it can't find the INBOX:

  x1 select INBOX
  x1 NO Unknown namespace.

Also, I don't really want to specify the location here. I want to use the
userdb settings (I'm using password-file). Is there a way to make it use
my setting in the userdb/password-file?

Also, I'm not sure if it actually matters, but when selecting a folder,
the number of RECENT messages is always the same as the number of messages
which EXISTS:

  x2 select INBOX.Tech
  * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
  * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft \*)]
Flags permitted.
  * 70 EXISTS
  * 70 RECENT
  * OK [UNSEEN 69] First unseen.
  * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1057356619] UIDs valid
  * OK [UIDNEXT 181] Predicted next UID
  x2 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.

I'm afraid some clients may use this information for something, and
display incorrect information to the user.

Thanks!

--
- Brian