[Dovecot] pine, INBOX, and dovecot

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 01:09:51 EEST 2003

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with Dovecot; tests with Maildir seemed to work
fine.  However, now I'm trying with mbox folders, and I'm having a problem
where I do not get an INBOX listed using pine.  Outlook Express and
IMP show it fine.

I snooped part of the session, which appears to go like this (it is
slightly garbled, sorry -- I couldn't get rawlog to work by creating
dovecot.rawlog in the mail home directory):

00000002 CAPABILITY\r\n
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND UN
00000003 LIST "" %\r\n"
* LIST (\NoInferiors) "/" INBOX
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "test"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) ""/" "Sent Items"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "Drafts"
0000000a OK List .completed..

Pine just displays "test", "Sent Items", and "Drafts".  OE happily
downloads mail from the inbox I put there, and IMP can see it and read it.

Perhaps there is something there that IMAP protocol people might see.  Or
else, perhaps there is a known reason why pine does this?  Any clues would
be appreciated - I browsed the list archives but couldn't spot anything
very relevant.

Pine version is very recent - I updated today to 4.56.

Incidentally, is mbox support still broken in the CVS version?  Is there
an expected timescale for the next release, preferably with mbox fixed
again?!

Thanks for any advice.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks