[Dovecot] what is the current state

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 8 19:52:49 EEST 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 05:59:20PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> what is the current state of dovecot? is it worth to upgrade now or wait
> for some release in the near future?

It's probably not a good idea to use CVS yet. There's a few small bugs
(which I'll fix today) and it doesn't yet do any smart decisions on what it
should save into cache.

It might work better than 0.99.10, but I'll probably break the index format
a few times more before 0.99.11.

I wasted yesterday trying to figure out why Cyrus was faster in simple
fetches. Such as fetching UID for 360k mails took a bit over second in Cyrus
while Dovecot used two seconds. Annoying :) Probably has something to do
with Cyrus printing things directly into stdout while Dovecot copies the
data through a couple of buffers.

Anyway, I would really like to know if the new indexing code helps with your
load problems. It should use much less disk I/O.