[Dovecot] what is the current state

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Sep 8 20:35:46 EEST 2003

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:54:26PM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
> I think your problems were mostly due to general mbox slowness :) mbox
> support also isn't really working in CVS now. I'd have to figure out some
> nice algorithm how to quickly write changes to mbox.

:-) crush dreams why don't you?

seriously, on mbox, the best thing we can do is to provide minimal
support (i.e. reliable and it works no worse than uw) and make maildir
transition as trivial as possible (i.e. switch mbox to maildir on first
write).

the automatic switching code should be relatively trivial and the
process would be something like:

Move mbox to mbox-xyxzzy
make directory mbox
iterate over mbox-xyzzy copying each message into maildir entry.
move mbox-xyzzy safe-dir

I'm willing to bet that 90 percent of this code exists in dovecot.
there are probably a few other guards when they want to put around this
code to make it truly safe but I believe it would be really good idea.

---eric