[Dovecot] what is the current state

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Sep 8 21:15:41 EEST 2003

Mark E. Mallett wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 01:35:46PM -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>>seriously, on mbox, the best thing we can do is to provide minimal
>>support (i.e. reliable and it works no worse than uw) and make maildir
>>transition as trivial as possible (i.e. switch mbox to maildir on first
>>write).
>

> I would not consider that to be the best thing.  I'm not interested
> in having our mboxes converted automatically to maildirs.  We have
> systems where each is used, and enviromnents where both are used,
> by choice.

I think we're in more agreement than not.  Like you, I would not want
them to be converted automatically.  That is *unless* I set
configuration to convert them automatically.   mbox accesse is never
going to be fast or efficient.  If it was possible to make mbox access
faster, it would be because enough bright people have thought about the
problem to find a solution if there was one.  I'm not saying there isn't
an undiscovered magic option like marking a message as replaced, writing
an updated copy to the end of the file, and sorting out the order at
read time.  Only that it's highly unlikely.

the reason I advocate automatic conversion is that the process is
usually painful and error prone when it does not need to be.  Someone
should be able to turn on dovecot and have the conversion happen
automatically and feel confident that they will be able to get their
e-mail quickly and reliably.

---eric