[Dovecot] Setting up a local shared mailbox

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Fri Sep 12 19:54:56 EEST 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 03:28 pm, Bob Hall wrote:
> I just finished doing the same thing, and there really isn't any
> documentation specific to this. Read the documentation on the dovecot
> web site. Also, Timo has set up a Wiki at
>         http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/dovewiki
	This was helpful, especially the "cheat sheet." Here's my setup:
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
protocols =  imap
imap_listen = *
ssl_disable = yes
login_chroot = yes
login = imap
login_executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_user = dovecot
verbose_proctitle = yes
valid_chroot_dirs = /var/mail
default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/theclarks
imap_executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
auth = default
auth_mechanisms = plain
auth_userdb = passwd
auth_passdb = pam
auth_executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-auth
auth_user = root
auth_verbose = yes

	Almost everything works fine, although I'm concerned about 'imap_listen = *'.
Is there any way to restrict this to just localhost? I tried 'imap_listen =
localhost', but that didn't seem to work. (Ditto with 127.0.0.1). (The other
problem is that KMail doesn't indicate new messages in the folder, so the
only way to see if there are new messages is to click on the folder itself,
but that's off-topic, I suppose.) Suggestions?
	:Peter
--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!