[Dovecot] Setting up a local shared mailbox

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Fri Sep 12 23:54:14 EEST 2003

On Friday 12 September 2003 01:42 pm, Bob Hall wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 11:54:56AM -0500, Peter Clark wrote:
> > auth_passdb = pam
> > auth_user = root
>
> I thought you didn't need to be root to authenticate with PAM? If you
> can do this as dovecot-auth, it will be more secure.
	Hey, I don't know. :) I'll try, though.

> > 	Almost everything works fine, although I'm concerned about 'imap_listen
> > = *'. Is there any way to restrict this to just localhost? I tried
> > 'imap_listen = localhost', but that didn't seem to work. (Ditto with
> > 127.0.0.1). (The other
>
> If you set it to localhost, then you can only access mail from the one
> machine. I was under the impression that you were trying to access mail
> from more than one machine on your LAN. If not, then I'm not sure what
> IMAP is doing for you.
	No, it's one machine. My "desktop" is vt7, my wife's is vt8. We both want to
access the same maildir that is our common account (while keeping our own
accounts separate--my wife doesn't want to wade through the 100 emails I get
daily). The LUG members in my area recommended IMAP, rather than trying to
symlink it. If you think it would be better to symlink it, please say so.
	And BTW, "localhost" doesn't work, even on one machine.

> Also, if you find a solution to a specific problem, please consider
> adding it to the troubleshooting guide on the Wiki.
	Will do.
	:Peter
--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!