[Dovecot] Locking foolishness

Ian Marlier ian at onepost.net
Tue Sep 16 07:22:17 EEST 2003

I'm working on getting Dovecot set up on my school's mailserver, as an IMAP
and POP server.  Everything is going well, move over to maildir went well,
and all that...

The catch:
When I coverted from mbox to maildir (as part of this whole process), I put
the Maildir folders under user home dirs -- and the home dirs are mounted
via NFS from a server.  This is for reasons of space as well as simply
seeming to make sense.

Now I get errors in my mail.log which read:
imap-login: Sep 16 00:16:24 dovecot:Info: Login: marlier [209.6.159.188]
imap(marlier): Sep 16 00:16:28 dovecot:Error: file_wait_lock() failed with
index file
/Network/Servers/network.uphamscornercs.net/Users/marlier/Maildir/.INBOX/.im
ap.index: Invalid argument

It looks to me like it's a file locking problem...any thoughts on how to get
around it?  I've already tried the dotlock mechanism alone...without
success...

More information available upon request...

- Ian