[Dovecot] passwd-file maintenance by users, other options

Maikel Verheijen maikel at ladot.com
Sat Apr 3 13:15:46 EEST 2004

Hi Mike,

On Apr 3, 2004, at 1:31 AM, Mike Brown wrote:

> I've RTFM at http://www.dovecot.org/doc/auth.txt but I don't know how
> establish a separate passwd file that would satisfy the requirement
> that users
> be able to maintain their passwords themselves. And PAM is a complete
> mystery
> to me.

Why don't you move to a database instead of having a password file? If
you use a database, you could easily write a php-web-interface for your
users where they can update or change their passwords.
The only thing you won't solve is the APOP issue, but since you already
support IMAP as well, why no allow pop3 too? Almost all clients support
ssl connections to both pop3 and imap, so why bother with the password
being sent plain-text over the wire?

> So what do you all do? Is there a tutorial somewhere that would help?

We use dovecot with postgresql as a database backend, we have no
tutorial, but in the wiki of dovecot there was a tutorial on how to get
both dovecot and postfix to read a postgresql database:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/DovecotPostgresql

The virtual user stuff in postfix is something you might not need, but
it does describe the setup of dovecot for postgresql.

> Thanks,
>
> M.

Kind regards,

Maikel Verheijen.